Yay! I got my first email from my Secret Pal. I'm so excited. I had planned on answering the standard questions but she/he beat me to the punch and asked me to, so here we go.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm an equal opportunity yarn collector. I do prefer the higher end stuff because it feels so much yummier but I really pretty much like to have just about anything that comes in a wonderful color. I haven't used any Red Heart yet but that doesn't mean I never will. I've used Lion Brand for a project or two, cotton ease or the occasional thing like that. I just really love yarn.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I have recently taught myself to spin and am enjoying it immenselly. I also taught myself to crochet for the purpose of making flowers to attach to things, that is the full extent of my crocheting abilities though. I love to dye because I am such a huge fan of vibrant colors.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
The only thing I know of that I am allergic to is Reglan. Somehow I doubt anyone is going to want to send me any reglan in the mail so I'm not too worried.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I knit my first sweater for my first daughter starting just after she was born 5 years ago. I didn't finish it until it was time for my second daughter to wear it two years ago. It has only been in the last 6 months that I have really starting getting interested in all the things I can do with this skill.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/189043ME06TMN/102-1229384-4565715
I haven't updated it in a while but there it is
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like citrusy smells. I use Coconut Lime Verbena lotion and I love anything that smells like lime or grapefruit, things like that.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Oh yeah. I am a candy addict. I love to bake too.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm a quilter and I like to make things with polymer clay. I make my own knitting needles and drop spindles and have sold a few along with stitch markers and needles cases and bags.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
I like just about any kind of music. I don't listen to much country though I do have one or two cds. I play the sax so I'm very fond of jazz.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Orange is my favorite color but when it comes to knitting I love anything. For the most part the brighter the better.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married and have two kids. We don't have any pets at the moment though we would like to. We do have the more often than we would like uninvited mouse.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I'm hoping to go back to school once both of my kids are in school in order to make it all the way to my PhD in psychology. I'll have to take that one day to day.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
For the most part I prefer to knit with smooth yarns. The Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran I am knitting with right now is amazing and I am also really enjoying the Cascade Fixation. As soon as my LYS gets some Koigu Kersti I am hoping to try my hand at that too.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not a huge fan of 100% acrylic but every yarn has it's place.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
That changes from day to day. I like making bags and things that are useful on a regular basis. Clothes for my kids. Anything I like the looks of.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Same as above
17. What are you knitting right now?
I'm half way through a throw for my mother's couch. I'm making a little bag for each of my girls to carry their ballet shoes in. I'm making myself a sweater. I should be starting the DNA scarf any day now.
18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us)
I had a poncho I loved as a kid. It was two shades of pink (my kids would say they are hot pink and cold pink) and so fun to wear. I've got some for my kids that I didn't make and one I made for myself. I do have several more on the horizon.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I prefer circulars. They are more flexible since I can knit both straight and in the round with them.
20. How did you learn to knit?
Books. I checked out every book in the library, looked at every website on the net, and tried and tried till I got it right (or at least what looks right to me.)
21. How old is your oldest UFO?
The Lime sweater I am working on for myself was started several months ago and I have just finished the back of it.